HOME  Resources and Practical Information

Ask Inspector Bob - ARCHIVED Q&A       

OK...here's a log of Questions and Answers and Discussions posted prior to the website being redesigned. There's a ton of information that you may find helpful.

I'm sorry Ron...I'm not an architect or a DSA plan checker. Just a regular DSA inspector. The AOR or SEOR submit the mounting details and calculations. We follow the approved plans.

Name: rod cardin
Date: 25 Jun 2015
Time: 11:51:50


proper way to mount smart boards

In a nut-shell...if an RFI, ASI, ASK, SK or SSK details changes to the approved structural, fire/life-safety, or access drawings, a CCD must be issued allowing DSA to review and approve the changes. As the Project Inspector I typically review changes that come across the table. If I feel the change should be submitted as a CCD and reviewed by DSA I will speak to the CM, AOR and SEOR. There are times when a change meets the intent of the original approved plans, in which case I will ask for an engineer stamped detail which I will file and show to the DSA field engineer when he visits.

This may not be a popular approach, but it's kept me out of trouble and I believe it is what DSA expects.

Name: inspector joe
Date: 24 Jun 2015
Time: 06:01:59


Thanks Bob for this tool what and why demands that an RFI become a CCD thanks

Although certification was separate for OSHPD and DSA, they used to be joined at the hips. They are now completely separate entities, but they use the same basic code models and reference standards. They each administer their own examinations and issue separate certifications. You can carry both certifications. There are sections of the code that apply strictly to hospitals. Critical systems such as medical gas and emergency power/life support are elements that differentiate school work from hospital work. Pay scale is about the same, although some larger hospital projects may pay more.

PS...this isn't just about the money. You are going to need more than masonry and concrete background to get onto large scale projects (where the money is). At union scale or prevailing wage, you might be making more money as a masonry or concrete inspector than you would starting out as a lower classification DSA or OSHPD inspector.

Name: valdoriv909@yahoo.com
Date: 16 Jun 2015
Time: 18:01:47


Hi I have been inspecting since late September of 2014 I know I need 3 more years to take a DSA test What is the difference between obtaining a DSA licence vs a OShPOD IOR I have ACI Masonry and Concrete but I wanna do more and earn more money

Everything you need to know is in the Qualifications Matrix sheets provided by DSA at:


Remember...passing the test does not mean you are automatically approved to inspect on a DSA project. Approval is case by case/project to project.

Name: L James
Date: 02 Jun 2015
Time: 07:23:16


Hello Bob I am an electrician of twenty years and I am interested in becoming a DSA inspector I have read the experience requirements and it looks like i qualify for the class three and four test Is there any other requirements beside my tradesman experience that will prevent me from qualifying for the test

George...I know this sounds rude, but if you don't know how or where to submit information to become a DSA inspector, you will not be able to pass the test anyway. Also, there's tons of contact information in this website...just look in reference and resource pages.

Name: George Schirm
Date: 22 May 2015
Time: 11:08:00


where can you get the form to take the test for obtaining an inspectors license

See Feb 17th and 18th Posts below. Ongoing discussion...

Name: Inspector Ralph
Date: 18 May 2015
Time: 21:34:58


dir registration I got the same response that said we must register but dont fall under prevailing wage If you look on the dir sight for this issue go to faq the fourth question is about dsa and the answer is as long as we are under prevailing requirements we must register After I saw that I emailed the dir told them they cant have it both ways they need to decide to put us under prevailing wage guidelines or leave us alone I have emailed 3x last two months no answer


707 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2600

Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: 213.630.2020

This is not a recommendation. This is one company I have experience with.

Name: Attorney
Date: 15 May 2015
Time: 15:03:29


Hi Bob I am an attorney working on a case and am looking to retain a fire alarm expert preferably DSA approved to testify regarding practice and procedure industry standards etc for a project in Ventura County Are you able to recommend anyone Thank you

The term "water heater" can mean many things. Are we talking about a boiler type system or a household type water heater? Currently, most states (except California and some others) require ASME certification for units rated for 200,00 BTUs and higher and/or storage capacities of 120 gallons or greater. A licensed mechanical engineer should be making the determination.

Name: Ohbradley
Date: 01 Apr 2015
Time: 08:04:23


Are ASME water heaters required on a new college building inspected by DSA

One of the reasons I like trying to answer these questions is that it forces me to review the code books. I just went through sections 6, 7 and 8 of the National Fire Alarm Code. It seems to me that a voice notification system is used to notify occupants of the need to relocate within a facility rather than simple evacuation, which occurs when visible and audible alarms are triggered during an event. This would most likely be a decision made by the design engineer and the jurisdiction authority reviewing the type and design/occupancy of a building. Some buildings may have "safe" areas or a combination of "safe" areas and specific evacuation routes. In any case, the voice notification must be followed by audible alarms used in conjunction with visible notification devices and appears to be a design consideration. I doubt if it would apply to purely administrative areas since it seems to be a mthod of directing the public or employees to areas of safety.

Name: Inspector Pete
Date: 26 Mar 2015
Time: 16:00:57


when are fire alarms in schools required to include voice notification and are they required in purely administrative areas

Assuming you are doing structural work (?), see CBC 1916A.2 Tests of Reinforcing Bars. It states that with identified rebar and mill certs on file, do 1 bend and 1 tensile for each 10 tons for each size of bar. No mention of grade. (PS...I'm still using 2007 code).

Name: Inspector Ben
Date: 12 Mar 2015
Time: 15:31:48


If the plans specify grade 40 rebar does it need to be tested or are mill Certs sufficient

Rick...thanks but my perspective is as a DSA approved inspector. I inspect to DSA approved contract documents. What school personnel decide to do on their own is outside my scope of expertise. I can tell you; they are dealing with a potential Life Safety issue and had better consult applicable codes related to exhausting heat producing equipment. You do not let heat finds it's way to a hole in the roof or opening in the wall. You install a double wall duct/vent designed to exhaust the heat/fumes and protect students from injury.

Name: rick
Date: 10 Mar 2015
Time: 16:41:36


One of our Community Colleges has an interest in using a portable kiln fueled by propane Initial idea was to use the kiln outdoors in a patio area Now it looks like they want to use it in a steel storage building with no dedicated hood but the storage unit has openings at the top The college is thinking this is adequate ventilation your comments thanks Rick

All field welding requires either periodic or continuous inspection by a certified CWI working for an LEA approved testing lab. All welds must be detailed so the inspector can show compliance with the approved plans. AWS welding codes indicate minimum requirements. The design may require more restrictive requirements. Are there CJP splice welds at the stringers? If so....continuous inspection and NDT. Single pass fillet welds? Periodic inspection after intial startup inspection. Don't forget about material identification, mill certs, approved welding procedures, welder certifications.

Get details from design team for all welds. Call for shop material ID and CWI welding inspection. Call for field CWI welding inspection. We just demo'd a massive stair system that had no inspection and was not constructed per the approved plans. Students will be using these stairs. Their lives are in your hands. Contact your approved testing lab and get a CWI to watch the welding AFTER details are provided.

Name: JoeStairs
Date: 10 Mar 2015
Time: 14:51:54


In California what type of special inspection is required for steel stairs we are using single stringer and double stringers stairs with weld on precast concrete treads that are welded in the field what however they are not in the structural plans

Name: Inspector Dave
Date: 09 Mar 2015
Time: 18:16:51


I emailed the DIR last week and today they got back to me I have some follow up questions for them and will be talking on the phone with them hopefully tomorrow but for now here is what they emailed me on the subject The duties of the DSA Inspectors falls within the definition of Contractor according to 1722 1 As such the DIR is requiring DSA Inspectors to register There is no prevailing wage for DSA Inspectors and DSA Inspectors will not be required to file prevailing wage reports

What height wall? Is wall part of a fire-rated assembly? Is HC access impacted? Are materials and installation methods in compliance with applicable codes/standards? Too many questions to give you an answer. The last thing you want is for a section of wall to fall and impede access in a fire or emergency. Rated assemblies that provide student protection should not be altered without review.

Name: Rick
Date: 03 Mar 2015
Time: 17:19:09


Can students be in charge of building walls in a community college This would be a minor remodel project

Name: chaz
Date: 19 Feb 2015
Time: 13:47:13


what is the billing rate for a dsa class 1 and 2 inspectors in the orange county area

Name: SB 854 Trainer
Date: 18 Feb 2015
Time: 16:20:17


DIR Determination with all punctuation removed Generally the work performed by DSA inspectors falls outside of the scope of prevailing wage determinations If this is the case the DSA inspector would not need to register However if the DSA Inspectors perform any actual inspections or tests then the Building Construction Inspector Fields Soils Materials Tester determination rates would apply and therefore the DSA inspector would need to register

Name: getitrite
Date: 17 Feb 2015
Time: 01:11:47


what limits the AOR from dictating Means and Methods to the IOR as in percentage of time spent in the field and who and when to send off dailys and IR to be signed and returned to GC everyday just a few items here that AORs have been sticking their noses into

Name: get it rite
Date: 17 Feb 2015
Time: 01:07:02


DIR situation is SB854 requiring DIR to fee charge and regulate all qualifying CONTRACTORS and SUBCONTRACTORS whom wish to bid on PW projects We are not CONTRACTORS nor are we SUBCONTRACTORS as defined in the State Statues CONSULTING FIRMS DO NOT CONTRACT TO THE GC OR THE PM so why are we registering with the DIR Per the California SS the Law CONTRACTOR is referenced as the California State Licensed Contractor nothing else

Are you kidding me? Thanks for the heads up...! L.A. City sent out similar letters a few times over the past years. Most special inspectors ignored the letters.

Name: Inspector joe
Date: 12 Feb 2015
Time: 02:00:41


Bob I think you are confusing what the last two questions have been about The dir is asking for contractor registration and the big firms are in forcing the three hundred not three fifteen on their inspectors This issue is on the first page of the the dir public works website

Check out Jan 5th post below. I always recommend that you get a full set of plans from a multi story building, study every page and don't turn the page until you understand everything on it. Understand single line diagrams and piping riser diagrams. Get all the code books and standards that you can and read them. You don't have to memorize, just know where to look for answers about administrative duties, certification, responsibilities, structural, architectural, and MEP typical code applications. Download the recent IR manual from DSA and read the IRs. Study ADA access and Fire Life Safety. Study and understand all the new DSA regulations for documentation. #1, make sure you have field experience and understand all the systems and processes and what your responsibilities are.

Some people are NOT good test takers...don't get bogged down on one question. Answer what you can and then go back to the difficult ones that you couldn't answer. Go to your car after the test and write down as many questions as you can remember in case you need to re-take the exam.

Name: Alex
Date: 06 Feb 2015
Time: 10:49:20


Bob I have recently submitted my application for a DSA class 1 inspectors license I reside in Ventura CA and I am looking for a live course in the area to prepare me for the test I would appreciate your feedback

Added Response: After Joe's comment on the 12th (above); I realize you're talking about something completely different...something I didn't realize was happening. So it is NOT the WC $, this is inspectors being forced into registering as a contractor!? Is this a union influenced thing to push independents out?

If you are subcontracting your services to an inspection firm, you are essentially an employer. I assume the money you are paying is for Workman's Compensation.  The inspection firm wants you to pay in to show evidence that you are not an employee of their company. That's the bottom line. Here's two lines from the DIR web site:

Q. Do I need to have workers' compensation insurance?

A. Yes, California law requires employers to have workers' compensation insurance if they have even one employee. If you are a roofer and donít have any employees, you are still required to carry workersí compensation insurance.

Q. My spouse and I are the sole owners of our business. We have no employees. Are we required to obtain workers' compensation coverage?

A. Generally, coverage for sole owners is optional. You would, however, need to have workers' compensation coverage for any employee you may hire, even if itís just one employee, and even if itís just temporary employment. You should consult with your attorney, insurance agent or broker, or carrier regarding the specifics of your situation and your options.

Name: Inspector rob
Date: 06 Feb 2015
Time: 01:08:10


I work for one of the big inspection firms in southern California I just received an email stating that I have to pay the dir three hundred dollars for mandatory contractor registration Half of the inspectors have just paid the fee based on the email sent out by the inspection firm What I dont understand is if the dir doesnt recognize us or classify us as inspectors why are we paying them for anything

Fixtures must be positively (mechanically) attached to grid runners. The clips can pop off in an earthquake. See IR 25-2.01

1.10 Attach all light fixtures and ceiling mounted air terminals, to the ceiling grid runners to resist a horizontal force equal to the weight of the fixtures. Screws or approved fasteners are required.

Name: ElectE1
Date: 04 Feb 2015
Time: 13:02:00


Are earthquake clips considered approved fasteners for attaching light fixtures to ceiling grid runners per DSA

Name: get it rite
Date: 23 Jan 2015
Time: 23:37:01


WHAT UP no kidding RE pipe protection 313 dot 9 in the 2010 not in the 2013 you mite look at 312 dot 9 NOW if you could just get my PEOR to do the same That would be the quest

Name: What Up
Date: 21 Jan 2015
Time: 10:08:15


Get it right    Pipe Protection Steel plates Code313 9 still there

Name: get it rite
Date: 20 Jan 2015
Time: 19:33:49


Safety Plates for In Wall Piping as in Protection NO LONGER EXIST well well I missed that one or did I get smoked over by the PEOR

Name: What up
Date: 19 Jan 2015
Time: 10:35:26


Inspector Jim That would have been my question paying attention to detail and submitials is key as it relates to a good inspector I mean being a detail orientated person Get it right you may not want to bring too much attention to this as people will point the finger to you Sound like that could get messy

Name: get it rite
Date: 15 Jan 2015
Time: 16:13:39


oddly enough the ER0329 report dated in 1 1 2014 has it as 4 and a half while the ER0329 date 9 1 2014 has at 3 and 7 8th inch flute Cant be pointing the finger at the SI or the CWI the sub seems clueless and by all terms the 12 inch cc is there The 3 inch height is there everything else is there even the 2 different dated ERs are identical except the width of the flutes dang deal

Name: Inspector Jim
Date: 15 Jan 2015
Time: 13:18:14


Get it right where was the Inspector who is supposed to check all materials delivered to the jobsite

Date: 13 Jan 2015
Time: 20:49:08


We have a new boogus material supplier ASC metal decking with a 3and78 flute should be 4and12 inch bottom flute Now What LW concrete is down and nobody catches this fubar SEOR geTs to redo all the calcs YUP

I can make any personal recommendation, but you can check out   http://www.inspectoracademy.com

Name: inspection wizz
Date: 05 Jan 2015
Time: 19:03:30


looking to take the dsa inspectors exam and looking for timed practice test available on line any help

Each district has slightly (sometimes major) differences in how they contract inspectors. Typically you will need to get on a district's RFQ (Request for Quote) or RFP (Request for Proposal) email contact list. Larger districts send out detailed requests for specific information. Your "template" will look different district to district. I create a binder (sometimes 6 may be requested) with separate indexed sections addressing each key-point in their RFP/RFQ. Sound complicated? I've had to submit 70 page binders to get listed as an approved inspection firm within a particular district.

Bare-bones minimum: Name, address, resume, qualifications, certifications, experience and references.

Name: inspector newbie
Date: 09 Dec 2014
Time: 17:28:51


is there someplace that I could get my hands on a template for a typical contract for DSA inspections services I am going after a job on my own for the first time

This web site is for DSA inspection of schools (California). All welding inspection must be done by an employee of the approved Lab of Record, approved for each specific project.The school district typically contracts the services of an LEA approved testing lab that dispatches inspectors to the site. LEA approved labs are listed on DSA website.

Name: MetalMan
Date: 08 Dec 2014
Time: 08:15:48


Is there an approved list of inspectors for the metal fabrication and welding portion of a job or is it simply having an organization that is capable of inspecting to the various fabrication and welding codes outlined in the requirements

You can submit a complaint about a DSA inspector to the DSA area field engineer, the Project Manager, the architect...If the inspector is upholding the plans, spec and code, you'll have a tough time with your complaint.

Name: rick john
Date: 13 Nov 2014
Time: 10:18:07


How do you file a complaint against dsa inspector

Sorry...I missed this one. If you're pouring concrete with rebar you must provide a method of consolidation as outlined in ACI 318, 5.9 and 5.10. This is referenced in Title 24, 1905A.9 and 1905A.10 in the 2007 code I'm currently using. You'll need to check ACI 318 for any exclusions. Roadwork is flatwork and we used expensive rolling vibrating screeds on my last project.

Name: Contractor Tim
Date: 28 Oct 2014
Time: 18:52:07


Is there any prevailing code or testing agency that requires ALL concrete to be vibrated I am specifically inquiring about flatwork poured at 6 inches thick

DSA does not pre-approve. The coupler must have an ICC evaluation report (ES) showing testing and acceptance for the application you will be using (e.g. #4 vertical bar splice in a flexural member). Dayton makes many approved couplers (Dayton Bar Grip). Your SEOR must review and approved for the application.

Name: walt
Date: 27 Oct 2014
Time: 16:48:59


looking for DSA pre approved rebar coupler

Anytime a larger piece of high strength steel is cut into smaller sections, the testing lab technician or CWI must witness the transfer of the heat number to each piece. So, inspector identifies incoming high strength materials at shop for your project. A couple days later the shop wants to cut into smaller shear plates or knife plates. A lab person must witness the cutting and transfer of heat number to verify that the smaller sections actually came from the originally identified piece.

Name: John
Date: 26 Oct 2014
Time: 20:53:13


Is a deputy inspector required to witness transfer of heat numbers to all pieces prior to being cut even after the material has been identified and marked

Your DSA Field Engineer will make that call. As the IOR you may have to bring it up with the field engineer. The decision will be his. It is not made clear in IR A-8 so I am speaking from my own personal experience. The owner must also be consulted since they pay the bill. They may be inclined to say "no" so it's good to have your DSA Field Engineer put it on his FTN that an assistant is warranted. There is a project valuation that DSA uses as a guideline for assistant IOR but I don't know where they get that number. Anybody else?

Name: Architect #3
Date: 24 Sep 2014
Time: 13:31:31


Is there a DSA or Admin Code mandated project size threshold where a 2nd IOR will be required full or part time on a jobsite

My DSA T&I sheet calls for periodic special inspection. DSA recognizes a certified CWI as a welding inspector on school projects. I would want a CWI but my answer is only an interpretation of how to meet DSA guidelines. It's welding... and a welding inspector must have a CWI cert. Shear stud welding is covered in AWSD1.1.

Name: inspector gadget
Date: 04 Sep 2014
Time: 14:22:40


Is an ICC building inspector allowed to perform nelson stud inspections

See ASTM C 635. Main runners carry the weight/loads of the ceiling system and suspended items. C 635 says "splines" shall not be used for structural support for the ceiling material. Spline means connector or joining strip. In any case, the manufacturer would have to have a splice detail and the detail should be reviewed and approved by the engineer for your project...I have no idea what kind of loads you are supporting or where the splice is in relationship to your hanger wires.

Name: Inspector Joe
Date: 27 Aug 2014
Time: 15:32:26


During a Modernization we added a wall and the contractor cut back the T bar ceiling main runners to install the wall my question is are they allowed to splice the main runners or do they need to replace the entire main runner the splice is roughly 4 inch from the end

DSA IR 19-1 (free download from DSA) covers post installed anchors, including epoxy applications. When frequency of testing is not indicated in approved contract documents you must assume that all epoxy bars will be tested. I've always tested 100% of epoxy rebar dowels with test values specified in writing by the engineer. Test values will depend on product data and specific application and must be calculated and approved by the engineer. Engineer must submit epoxy dowel locations, embedment, size of bars, type of epoxy and testing requirements to DSA for approval if not shown on the stamped approved drawings.

Epoxy-type (adhesive) anchors shall be tension tested per Section 1923A.3.5. The tension test load shall equal twice the allowable load for the specific location of the anchor to be tested (i.e., accounting for edge distance) or 80% of the yield strength of the bolt (0.8AbFy), whichever is less. The test procedures for expansion-type anchors in the attached table shall also be used for epoxy-type (adhesive) anchors. Torque testing of epoxy-type (adhesive) anchors is not permitted.

Where epoxy-type (adhesive) anchors are used as shear dowels across cold joints in slabs on grade and the slab is not part of the structural system, testing of those dowels is not required.

Name: pro-pain
Date: 29 Jul 2014
Time: 11:43:15


what is the requirement for frequency of testing epoxy embedded rebar and where is that section

Waterproofing at the elevator pit should be clearly indicated on the contract drawings or in the contract specifications. Depending of type of elevator system, ground water table, soil type, etc. Waterproofing may include a membrane at bottom of pit placed prior to pour, bituthene membrane applied with or without protection board on exterior of concrete at pit walls and/or rolled or brushed on waterproofing applied at inside of pit walls. The cementious product brushed on at the interior walls can peel or bubble if not applied correctly.

Name: Inspector Dave
Date: 22 Jul 2014
Time: 11:17:31


Can anyone steer me in a direction that might clarify any requirements for waterproofing an elevator pit prior to concrete placement

Article 110  Title 24 Part 3 and National Electric Code call for all conductors and equipment to be certified and labeled by a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab. UL is the recognized standard.

Name: Inspector Lee
Date: 18 Jul 2014
Time: 17:24:48


Does DSA require that all electrical being installed in schools have UL Certification If yes can you point me to where I can find the information

Name: Inspector Dave
Date: 26 Jun 2014
Time: 12:15:15


Thanks Joe This is my understanding as well however in these days where we practically need to have a law degree just to read the codes I wanted other opinions I am happy now back to work

Name: inspector joe
Date: 24 Jun 2014
Time: 16:29:33


insp dave are you referring to the 2007 req to increase the horizontal dimension of a footing by 1 inch at each vertical surface per section 1805A 4 2 6 If that is the case this requirement has been repealed and is no longer required the language has been removed from the 2010 code version section 1808A 8 5

I'm still working out of 2007 code. Note is in 1805A.4.2.6. Anyone else?

Name: Inspector Dave
Date: 24 Jun 2014
Time: 13:24:56


Bob My question has to do with the old requirement that footing trenches be over excavated where directly in contact with concrete I no longer see this called out and I wonder if I am overlooking something Section 1808A 8 5 only says concrete is permitted to be cast against the earth where in the opinion of the building official soil conditions do not require formwork

7.3 ACI 318 covers bending of rebar but leaves field bending of rebar up to the engineer.  Babaei and Hawkins wrote a good article called "Field Bending and Straightening of Reinforcing Steel". To sum it up, you can field bend bars up to No. 11's. You need to apply heat to bars No. 6 and larger.  For bars No. 5 and smaller you do not need to apply heat to bend a straight bar. You do need to apply heat to No. 5 bars and smaller if they were previously bent.

The quote above is an old but the restrictions on field bending of bars is usually specified in the contract documents/specifications. When cold bending, such as with a #4 bar, whether you do it in the shop or in the field, it comes down to approval by the engineer and having the right equipment to perform a proper radius bend. The final concerns are; are the the bars are embedded in concrete or have they previously been bent? ACI 7.3 leaves field bending to the structural engineer.

Name: PE Bob
Date: 18 Jun 2014
Time: 16:25:04


Is it ok to field bend no 4 rebar on site

MC Cable is listed as an approved wiring component in the electrical code. It's restrictions are typically noted in the contract specs for your project, as directed by the design team. These restrictions have to do with not being able to pull new wiring or add wiring in the MC-Cable. There are times (e.g. security wiring at a door frame) where it is the only thing that will work. It may be allowed by your electrical engineer at specific locations where access issues prevail. I have used it on several projects with the electrical engineer's written permission. Hope that helps...remember, I'm not a DSA code person; I'm just an inspector.

Name: PE Bob
Date: 18 Jun 2014
Time: 12:20:26


Is it acceptable to use MC Cable within a kitchen of a school

I just spoke with DSA engineer. He said that permanent shoring systems (e.g. tie-backs) must have design, testing and detailing submitted for review and approval AND will require a monitoring system.

Name: inspector joe
Date: 17 Jun 2014
Time: 12:50:49


Per appx j sec j106 2 the rqmt of this sec shall apply to temp and perm earth ret shoring when dsa facs are affected shoring used as constrn means and mthds only and does not affect DSA facs are not regulated by DSA or and shall satisfy the rqmt of the AHJ per sec j106 2 6 the shoring design eng shall make periodic insp and observation of the shoring system per j106 2 6 2 T and I observation shall be in accordance with T and I observation rqmts approved by the bldg official I hope this helps

I have had the same experience and the DSA field engineer only required a stamped geotechnical review and approval of the shoring plan. I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say on this. I don't remember submitting shoring plans being submitted to DSA but this was for temporary shoring. If it's going to remain in place you should consult with your architect and your DSA field engineer. It may require submittal and approval.

Name: inspector
Date: 17 Jun 2014
Time: 08:26:13


working on a school project that requires a engineered temporary shoring system to support a vertical cut of 19 feet The shoring will remain in place after the construction of a retaining wall The shoring plan requires special inspection and testing for concrete steel and PT Also requires continuous geotechnical observation This work is not part of the approved plans and specifications Should the plan be submitted to DSA for review and approval

This has become a matter of contention on my jobs as well. I believe you are correct in saying the 30 minute rule has disappeared. It puts the final responsibility on the contractor or, when a pour schedule is reviewed by the engineer, on the design team.

Name: Zenith
Date: 11 Jun 2014
Time: 12:21:47


What are the limitations and actual prescribed time allowed for cold joints in vertical wall form pours This info not in ACI docs just refers to plasticity of concrete What happened to the 30 minute rule for a cold joint

Attachments of items suspended overhead must be per an approved detail provided by the AOR/SEOR. Mounting may also require bracing. e.g. ceiling projectors; modern ceiling projectors are lightweight but still require approved support and bracing. Once an anchor or brace is installed, the owner could remove suspended object and replace with heavier object. Anchorage/support/bracing should be submitted to DSA.

Name: inspectorK
Date: 11 Jun 2014
Time: 11:25:17


we are in need of providing DSA submission for mounting items under 20 lbs ie speakers cameras etc where can we find the approved mounting hardware DSA Inspector advised on some current speaker installations we did not use an approved lag bolt

Start of construction is not based on Form 156 alone. Construction Start Notice/Inspection Card Request Form 102-IC must be submitted by AOR and SEOR. Project (each building) must have a Form 152 Project Inspection Card issued by DSA. IOR must issue Form 151 Project Inspector Notifications. Construction cannot start without the DSA Project Inspection Cards.


Name: bassthecat
Date: 09 Jun 2014
Time: 13:13:41


The contractor on my job has not been notifying me of the start of construction on some of the buildings on my Campus He did give me a sheaf of DSA 156 forms filled out all filled out and dated in February stating that this fulfilled the 48 hour minimum notice Can I issue a deviation notice when work takes place without notice being given

IR A-8 Project Inspector - is responsible for ensuring that all code-prescribed inspections and administrative duties are completed, including supervision of assistant inspectors and monitoring of special inspectors. The Class 1 project inspector may utilize one or more assistant inspector(s) to assist in performing inspection and administrative duties on a project.

The project inspector must perform specific duties in accordance with Title 24, Part 1 (Sections 4-333 and 4-342). The project inspector acts under the direction of the Design Professional in General Responsible Charge and is subject to supervision by DSA. The project inspector does not have the authority, under Title 24, to direct the contractor in the execution of the work, nor to stop the work of construction.

Basically, you're current arrangement is opposite of that stated above. However, I like to review RFI's before they are submitted to help determine if they are actually needed. I also like to be kept in the loop on all construction matters. I don't think DSA would disagree. Just remember, we are responsible to the design professionals and DSA. The ultimate decision on all construction matters must come from them, not us. We cannot direct the construction activities or provide solutions to problems.

When I see an issue with an RFI, I contact the AOR and/or engineer to discuss it and they make the decision. Sometimes contractors try to avoid approved details and use RFIs to make changes that aren't needed. I'll contact the C.M. and the AOR to give my viewpoint but the ultimate decision is with them. If it represents a change to an approved structural detail I demand a CCD be submitted to DSA. Often, this request will stop an unnecessary RFI. I also review pay apps 1st, since I am in the field. I review submittals to make any comments to the architect. For instance, I noticed a submittal had a change to the complete penetration weld shown on the approved plans (went from open root to a closed root with no notes on back-gouging). I sent an email to AOR and contractor is re-submitting to provide detail that matches plans). The AOR missed this detail change.



Name: bassthecat
Date: 07 Jun 2014
Time: 19:09:22


In the District I work for the protocol is that all communication with the design professionals is through the IOR That goes for RFIs as well Do you know if this protocol is stated in any of the DSA publications or presentations

Questions that I normally address are related to field inspections. This is an internal DSA policy question. I'm sorry I can't help answer your question.

Name: Jeffery
Date: 05 Jun 2014
Time: 20:09:16


Is DSA approval required for mobile kitchens

There used to be...not sure anymore. I always recommend self-study, studying all code books and standards to the point where you at least know where to look for answers to code questions. Even on the job I cannot memorize ever code section, but I know where to look quickly.

I also recommend getting a full set of plans from a project and do not turn the page until you understand everything on the current page....structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, fire sprinklers, elevators...you must know how to read plans and you can do it on your own if you apply yourself.  Good luck!

Name: jj henry
Date: 05 Jun 2014
Time: 13:18:45


i am going to take the DSA 1 test in Sept 2014 my question is do you know any person or outfit that provides preparation classes specifically designed to help me pass the 2 part exam

NFPA 13 addresses fire sprinklers in concealed spaces in combustible construction where pitched roof is wood joist or wood truss construction. Otherwise all detailing shown has sprinklers at ceiling. I have no idea what your rating or design is. To find out more for your particular construction, look through NFPA 13 and consult with your design architect. All sprinkler heads should be shown on the approved plans prior to construction.

Name: Builder dan
Date: 22 May 2014
Time: 09:30:36


If I have a concealed space above a Sheetrock ceiling in a wood frame structure filled with insulation does this space need to be fire sprinkled This is also a college dorm

Name: Inspector George L
Date: 20 May 2014
Time: 18:37:31


This is a response to Duane below We were just talking about that move in labs the other day Give me a call Nathan has my number if you dont

Jimmy, your question is a planning department question. This site is for Project Inspectors that follow approved plans and specs already drafted and approved by DSA.

Name: Wireless Jimmy
Date: 31 Mar 2014
Time: 12:20:54


Hello Bob Im proposing a new Wireless Telecommunication Facility Cell Site at a Community College and was wondering if you could please direct me to the resource ordinance regarding setbacks height limitations estimated approval times etc for Cell Sites

You're probably referring to special inspection. This site is for DSA Project Inspection. Sorry I can't help you on this one.

Name: duane lorenz
Date: 12 Mar 2014
Time: 11:22:26


since when is prevailing wage not paid for school work at approved fab shops

Thanks! "slightly loose" is what I consider as slack. I didn't know there was actual reference to this wordage.

Name: just sayin
Date: 04 Mar 2014
Time: 11:07:30


Hey Bob I asked a question a couple weeks ago about slack wires at light fixtures in t bar ceilings Just ran across something in the Code Code does not use the term slack wires See 1615pt10pt13 ASCE 7 section 13pt5pt6pt2pt2pt5 Fixture support wires may be slightly loose to allow the fixture to seat in the grid system Same wording in the A code 1615Apt1pt12

Form 292 no longer gets submitted to DSA. It is submitted to testing lab engineer. Lab engineer issues a 291 stating that all testing was completed in accordance with DSA approved construction documents.

Name: Mike
Date: 26 Feb 2014
Time: 10:27:48


This is in regards to a school project and closeout For Post Installed Anchors which form does it go on The DSA 291 or DSA 292

Name: B A Cyborg
Date: 22 Feb 2014
Time: 13:11:15


a copy of the letter I sent and the email address for the Dept of Industrial Relations is on the web at the Linked In group DSA INSPECTORS and can be cut and pasted by anyone if it helps

Name: B A Cyborg
Date: 22 Feb 2014
Time: 13:07:02


Anyone who does not like low DSA wages due to the misuse of the consultant status needs to send a letter to the DIR before March Since our DSA form 5 says we must put in 40 hour weeks we are not able to get other simultaneous work like every other independent consultant WE HAVE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

It is my understanding that Form 156 is submitted for each milestone indicated on the inspection card(s). Typically there will be a card for site work and a separate card for structure. My site work card does not mention demo but I would say it depends on the scope of the demo. For instance if large pipe is to be removed, it should be verified by inspection. Demo would be a milestone whether shown on the card or not because it will eventually relate to mass grading and compaction.

Name: bassthecat
Date: 20 Feb 2014
Time: 10:40:26


When does the Contractor need to submit their Form 156 to the Project Inspector As he begins demo or when new work on an inspection card block begins

The Fire Sprinkler Company will be a licensed approved installer of fire sprinkler pipe and fittings. They will submit plans stamped by their engineer. The smoke detectors are detailed, engineered and installed by a fire detection/alarm company and there is coordination between this company and the mechanical engineer regarding fire smoke dampers and alarms. This means there are 3 separate engineers and sets of drawings involved. Finally, all these plans and details must be submitted to DSA, reviewed and approved by Fire Life Safety division; assuming we're talking about school construction.

All these plans go thru the AOR, SEOR, and district for review for cost impact, supports to structure and overall coordination plans.

Name: Martin K
Date: 19 Feb 2014
Time: 12:34:38


To ASM101 ref who is responsible for the location of smoke detectors fire dampers etc Our firm usually obtains plans from the Fire Sprinkler Company hired as either contractor consultant or both They create the overall FSS or FA plan The only requirement is that the plans be overstamped by the design professional in general responsibility of the project The ME and SE can review the plan for constructability calculations notes and general code compliance but this is not a requirement

Name: michaelc
Date: 19 Feb 2014
Time: 05:54:34


i was looking for dsa masonry exam study guide

Contact manufacturer.

Name: Inspector Shirley
Date: 04 Feb 2014
Time: 14:21:28


can districts paint their switchgear been asked this question before but deferred to another inspector who has said it will void the ul rating but unable to find definitive answer please help thanks

I do not have documentation but slack is not "loose".  The further the fixture drops the more sway arc it will have. The idea is to provide secondary support AND to prevent the fixture from pounding the ceiling framing apart as it swings during an earthquake. This may be a personal call....use your best judgement and only accept work that meets your interpretation of code intent.

Name: Just sayin
Date: 30 Jan 2014
Time: 09:32:57


OK checked DSA IR 25 2 10 it just says at fixtures less than 56 pounds you need two number 12 slack wires at diagonal corners Does anyone have any documentation regarding definition of slack wire or how far a fixture could be allowed to fall before being caught by the slack wire Thanks very much and keep up the good work

Name: Just sayin
Date: 29 Jan 2014
Time: 22:21:54


Bob So Im having a little discussion with the electrician regarding what an installed slack wire should look like at a light fixture in a t bar ceiling In my opinion the light should only be able to drop a few inches In his opinion as long as the light cant hit anyone in the head when it drops its ok ie it could dr several feet and be ok Whats your opinion and do you have any backup Just realized I should have checked the DSA IR manual before I wrote this

I don't believe that DSA limits seismic straps to any particular manufacturer. It is up to the engineer to provide a design criteria and/or detailing. The contractor then submits the product that they feel meets the design criteria for engineer review and approval.

ISAT is an organization that engineers designs for seismic bracing that are OSHPD OPA approved and accepted by DSA when the ISAT detailing is provided on the approved plans.

I don't know the capacity of your water heater. Diameter, height, weight, anchorage- these will all be factors that require review. I don't know of any specific manufacturers. The architect and consultant will know.

Name: Mark
Date: 23 Jan 2014
Time: 14:32:44


Bob Do you know where I can find a the list of DSA Approved Manufacturers that make water heater straps I tried the DSA website with no luck I see various website that mention that a brochure is available

All FLS detailing and locations must be shown on the approved plans. Have consultant (through Architect) submit a CCD showing all FSD locations and get DSA review and approval. We are not field engineers and the contractor is not a code compliance plan checker. We (inspectors) follow approved DSA documents and related codes and standards.

Name: ASM101
Date: 22 Jan 2014
Time: 14:37:35


Dan we are being told that the engineer does not need to locate the FSD or fire dampers on the drawings because of a general note that states put FSD or fire dampers in where required

Testing lab and IOR should maintain copy of all shop fabrication daily reports, material ID, mill certs, and NDT reports. All special inspectors contracting directly and individually with the school board must submit a Form DSA 292. The testing lab engineering manager must submit a 291 report.

To avoid any confusion, I ask the testing lab of record to provide a Form 292 for all shop and field structural steel and high strength bolting inspectors (one form for each discipline). Form DSA 292 states that the form must be submitted by the Special Inspector within 14 days of the conclusion of work requiring special inspection. or when work is stopped for more than one month, or if the services of the Special Inspector have been terminated for any reason.

Name: Inspector Rob of LAUSD
Date: 17 Jan 2014
Time: 14:35:15


Welding of structural frame of shade shelters are done in shop fabrication   Per California Admin Code the welding Inspector should turn-in a DSA form 292 Special Inspection Verified Report    DSA is also asking for Shop Fabrication report  Do they mean a 291 Lab report from the shop

Name: Just sayin
Date: 17 Jan 2014
Time: 10:25:03


Hey Nailer I am a DSA 1 and OSHPD A I thought the level of difficulty was basically the same for both exams I have heard other people say that they thought the DSA exam was tougher Its been awhile since I took the exams so maybe things have changed This may irritate some folks on here but I think DSA aims pretty low Passing score on DSA exam is 60 percent while OSHPD passing score is 75 percent

Mechanical engineer stamps drawings submitted to DSA for FSD locations. DSA FLS reviews and approves design. The inspector follows the approved plans or DSA approved modifications if changes are made.

Name: ASM101
Date: 16 Jan 2014
Time: 11:58:21


Dan I have a question that hopefully you can answer for us in the state of California Who is responsible for showing the locations of fire dampers and fire smoke dampers on the mechanical drawings   Can a design team architect or engineer state provide any and all dampers where required whether shown or not   Is it up to the mechanical contractor installation contractor to determine how the code should be interpreted Thanks

Yes. Be mindful of med gas requirements for copper piping and fittings which requires sealed and protected fittings to avoid any contamination.

Name: nailer
Date: 14 Jan 2014
Time: 12:12:35


current oshpd inspector thinking bout taking my dsa exam are there similarities between oshpd and dsa

Name: Just a spoke in the wheel
Date: 09 Jan 2014
Time: 10:00:52


Batman its only a one hour wall relax take a bat pill

Name: Just sayin
Date: 09 Jan 2014
Time: 09:51:00


Getitrite As long as the rated wall is not part of a rated exit enclosure get the owner of the unistrut to contact hilti or some other fire caulking manufacturer and have them provide an engineering judgement for the condition on your job Have the EJ submitted to AOR for approval and you are done